Wayne's World, but not really.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Red carpet for the Italian film "Il Caimano"

Here's what it's like to be at the top of the stairs at a red carpet premiere. Props go out to my friend D who shot the footage.



The secret to getting a ticket to a red-carpet premiere is to be patient. Someone somewhere has extra tickets, you just need to be able to catch them at the right place and at the right time.

Whenever I have a free moment, I usually wander to the last-minute ticket booth to see how long the line is and whether anyone is walking in to give away tickets.

Someone had two extra tickets to the premiere of "Il Caimino" (The Caiman), which is about a movie producer who tries to make a film satirizing former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

My friend D got a ticket with me, and she had to go buy an evening dress for the screening -- or security wouldn't let her in the door. Meanwhile, I was allowed in the red-carpet area but was forced to buy a black bow-tie for $20 before they would let me walk the red carpet. Below is a photo of me shelling out the dough.

***
Walking the red carpet was fun, if only because you need to do it at least once if you're at the festival. If I come again, a black bow-tie will be on my packing list.

Fortunately, I was wearing a black suit and white dress shirt on Tuesday. That's the thing about the festival, everything is last minute. Most people don't give away their tickets until a half-hour or hour before the premieres. If you're planning to go and your hotel is far away, you need to either bring dress clothes with you or try to wear them during the day.

I'm wearing a suit every day, although I don't have enough white dress shirts. I plan to wear white on days where good films premiere :-p.

***
As for "Il Caimano," it's definitely an Italy film. Because I'm not familiar with Berlusconi and the controversy about his four-year reign as prime minister, the film is harder to understand and appreciate. It has decent characters and some good emotional scenes -- mainly between the film producer and his wife, who are separating. However, it gets a low rating because its not accessible to non-Italian audiences.

1.5 stars
***
Wayne's star system
1 star --> avoid at all costs
2 stars --> watch on TV when nothing else is on
3 stars --> rent it eventually
4 stars --> must see before you die

3 Comments:

  • Don't you just look very handsome in a tux. Hang in there, buddy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 PM  

  • Wow, Wayne, you're really figuring this festival out! We're having fun hearing about your adventures.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 PM  

  • Wayne: You're in, man! On the red carpet!

    Even the tie looked good. Rakish angle. To hell with convention. Jack Bauer, on his best day, envies your gumption. Good job.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home