Wayne's World, but not really.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Talk to me about my mother

Pedro Almodovar's "Volver" is the story of three Spanish women: Raimunda, played by Penelope Cruz; her sister, Sole; and Raimunda's daughter, Paula.

The story takes place somewhere in Spain, and begins with the three women cleaning the gravesite where Raimunda's mother has been buried for four years. The film is both a comedy and drama. Here's the IMDB summary:

"After her death, a mother (Maura) returns to her home town in order to fix the situations she should couldn't resolve during her life. Of her family left in the town, her ghost slowly becomes a comfort to her daughters (Cruz, DueƱas), as well as her grandchild (Cobo)."

It's hard to review this movie without revealing the plot surprises, but I'll try my best. Let's just say that an incident occurs near the beginning of the film, but doesn't set the tone for the film, which is odd. In fact, after this incident, no one is too affected, even though it's very traumatic.

The film then develop's slowly and ultimately answers questions raised in the film about each character's past.

Wow, is that vague enough for you?

Because I haven't seen Almodovar's acclaimed films "Talk to Her" or "All About My Mother," I really can't compare this film to them. The movie overall is good, but I don't know if anyone should go out of his or her way to see it.

2.5 stars

***
Wayne's star system
1 star --> avoid at all costs
2 stars --> watch on TV when nothing else is on
3 stars --> rent it eventually
4 stars --> must see before you die

4 Comments:

  • I'm with Dustin and others ... more observations on famous people that we can use when chatting with friends this weekend. By the way, you're missing a perfect Iowa spring day, but hey, so am I, 'cause I'm inside. Let us know if you get on a yacht, or get among the partiers so we can continue to experience our vicarious existence with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

  • For Pete's sake, tell us about the hot chicks! From my slight knowledge of the Cannes Film Festival, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a half-naked starlet. Are you staying in a monestery?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM  

  • Yea Wayne, give the people what they want. Where are the candid celeb shots? You've got a camera.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 AM  

  • I concur with Kurt.

    Bonus points if its Scarlet Johanssen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home